Let's face it, all the chatter about "getting in shape" for the new year and how 2014 is all about the "new you" is kind of obnoxious. Who said there was anything wrong with the "old" you," right? In fact, chances are you're happy with the way 2013 turned out.
No doubt, turning the calendar over to January 1st offers the sense of a fresh start; an ideal time to reflect on what you were able to accomplish over the past 12 months, and think about what you hope to achieve throughout the upcoming year. But try to avoid looking at the big picture for too long. Anything worth accomplishing takes time. Progress is slow, which is why it's so important to set smaller short-term goals; stepping stones that will help you reach the final destination.
Instead of thinking of the start of the new year as a time for completely redefining yourself, think of it as a time to define what you can do to improve. Whether that means running a sub-four-hour marathon, hitting a deadlift PR, or getting to the gym at least three times each week this year, all that matters is that you set that goal for yourself and come up with a step-by-step plan that will help you reach it.
Our 2014 Fitness Guide isn't about creating the "new you," it's about improving and moving forward from wherever you are right now. Find new, fun ways to exercise, run your first 5K, learn how to take your current workout routine to the next level, and more. No matter what your goals are, this is your guide to exercise and fitness in 2014.
- The Best Ways to Workout in 2014
- Fad Fitness Challenge
- 6 Ways to Take Your Workout to the Next Level
- 12 YouTube Channels for Excellent At-Home Workouts
- Avoid These First-Time 5K Mistakes
- Cardio Kickboxing Workout
- Spice Up Your Sex Life with These 7 Exercises
- 10 Essential At-Home Workout Tools
- 20-Minute At-Home HIIT Workout
- 4 Simple Tips for Reaching Your New Year Goals
- The 31 Best Gyms in America
- How to Shop for a Gym Membership
- The 10 Best Big Box Gyms in America
- The A to Z of Gym Etiquette
- 10 New Year's Resolutions for Skiers
- 12 New Year's Resolutions for Runners
- 8 New Year's Resolutions for Gym-Goers