Foods That Nutritionists Would Never Eat on Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving may just be the only day of the year when people can find any excuse to indulge in their favorite foods. The typical holiday meal is made up of delicious dishes that are usually better when eaten together.[slideshow:91790]
However, delightful for the taste buds does not always mean healthy for the body. You can avoid the negative effects of enjoying too much food with a simple approach, Vitamin Shoppe Nutritionist Brian Tanzer, MS, CNS, says. “If you’re eating healthy whole foods 80 percent of the time, then the other 20 percent you can be a little more flexible,” he adds.
The problem is that most people do this in reverse. They eat poorly 80 percent of the time, and reserve the other 20 percent for an occasional “healthy” meal or snack. “During the holidays most of us are bombarded with excess food. “If you can sit down to a huge Thanksgiving dinner, then get right back on track the next day; you’ll be fine,” he says.
Some of Tanzer’s tips include taking very small portions of all the food served so you don’t feel deprived; offer your guests leftovers so they aren’t calling out your name from the fridge for the next several days; avoid alcohol; eat very well most of the time; and spend your daily lunch hour in the gym 5 days a week.