“I will do it later” is often said by those known to procrastinate.
According to Brandon Gaille, “statistics show that procrastination affects over 20% of the population,” and “1out of 5 people procrastinate so badly that it may be jeopardizing their jobs, their credit, their relationships and even their health.”
If you have the time now, why wait until later? Why put off something important because you are “too busy” or just plain lazy? Get your tasks done; get them out of the way and out of your head. This way, you will have less to worry about and you can begin focusing on other important responsibilities.
Below are 5 Ways to Prevent Procrastination.
1. Hang out with people that inspire you- Have you ever heard the saying “you are who you hang out with?” In this case, hanging out with people that inspire you is great motivation to stay on your tasks. Spending time with go-getters and people who work hard will influence you to be the same. Not only that, but go-getters will help you stay on the right track and if procrastination starts to get the best for you, they will be there to help.
2. Make a set schedule- Make a set schedule and stick to it! Remind yourself to complete the set tasks you assigned yourself. List dates, times and set reminders so you don't forget. Also try creating a to-do list with only items that you have been avoiding, then set deadlines to avoid overlooking the task.
3. Don’t over-complicate things- Stop waiting for the perfect opportunity to get something done. Coming up with excuses ends up resulting in further complication. If you keep waiting for the perfect opportunity you will never accomplish your task. So, stop putting off your tasks, get it done now it will benefit you in the long run.
4. Tell people your plans- Making your tasks public will add pressure on you to complete them. No one wants to be the person that says something and doesn’t follow though. Avoid getting a bad reputation and tell your peers. It will be the motivation you need to get your tasks done.
5. Get enough sleep- Ensure you have the energy to complete your tasks by getting enough sleep. Sleep also helps improve your memory which in turn will help you remember your tasks for the following day.