Wright Brothers National Memorial

Overview

The first successful sustained powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine were made here by Wilbur and Orville Wright on December 17, 1903. A 60-foot granite monument dedicated in 1932, is perched atop 90-foot tall Kill Devil Hill commemorating the achievement of these two visionaries from Dayton, Ohio. A visit should include touring the museum exhibits, participating in a ranger conducted program, touring the reconstructed camp buildings and first flight trail area, and a climb up Kill Devil Hill to view the memorial pylon. At the visitor center, exhibits and artifacts on the Wright brothers' background and the development of their flying machines are on display. The Centennial Pavilion exhibit hall houses exhibits dealing with the Outer Banks at the turn-of-the-century, the evolution of aviation, the challenges of flight, the development of the 2003 replica, and NASA-sponsored space exhibits as well as a Gift Shop. Children's programs, special events, and films are presented in the multi-purpose auditorium.

Map

Seasonality / Weather

Wright Brothers National Memorial is open seven days a week, year round. The visitor center and Centennial Pavilion are open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily during summer months and from 9 am to 5 pm daily September through May (closed Christmas Day, December 25).

Directions

Driving: 

The park is located on the Outer Banks of North Carolina in the town of Kill Devil Hills. The Visitor Center is 15 miles northeast of Manteo, NC on US-158.

Flying: 

Parking at the Airstrip is limited tie-down area is restricted to 24 consecutive hours or a total of 48 hours during any 30-day period. Pilots who wish to stay longer for other purposes may tie down at the Dare County Regional Airport, where fuel and rental cars are available.