Many of us have been there before; we are sitting at the dinner table when all of a sudden we have the urge to unbutton the top of our pants. Your stomach is so bloated, it has made you feel extremely uncomfortable.
*Related: 5 Reasons Why Your Stomach Hurts
Bloating is a common problem; maybe you ate something high in fiber, or you have been chewing gum all day. Either way, luckily for us, there are simple ways to reduce it.
Say goodbye to bloating and hello to a flat stomach. Use these simple tricks to help reduce belly bloating.
1. Stop chewing gum- It may sound crazy, but chewing gum actually leads to belly bloating. When you chew gum you are swallowing air, which in turn causes bloating. Instead, try sucking on a piece of hard candy, or take the healthy approach and drink tea or flavored water with lemon.
2. Reduce fiber intake- Some foods that are high in fiber are likely to produce large amounts of gas. Beans, whole grains and lentils, just to name a few. *See: Eat These Foods for a Flat Stomach
3. Stop eating so fast- Eating too fast causes you to swallow extra air, resulting in bloating. Tip: Eat slowly, it has also been proven to help you feel fuller faster. *See: 5 Ways to Trick Yourself into Eating Less
5. Relieve constipation- Constipation is a common symptom of belly bloating. Try taking probiotics or a magnesium supplement to work against constipation.
6. Drink lemon water- As many of you have probably heard, drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the morning is a great way to start your day and is also a great metabolism booster. But what some of you may not know is that it is actually a great drink to help reduce belly bloating. Lemons are a gentle laxative and natural diuretic, it helps your body eliminate waste products while aiding in the body’s digestive system, this ultimately resulting in a flatter stomach.
7. Drink a detox tea- Purify your body and give it the nutrients and antioxidants it needs with a detox tea. Some teas to choose include ginger tea, peppermint tea, bilberry tea, lemon tea, hibiscus tea and fennel tea.