Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

Here are a few surprising items that you should not put in the microwave
Editor

Rostislav_Sedlacek/Shutterstock

At some point or another, we have all put something in the microwave and freaked out when we saw sparks flying. Maybe you left a metal fork in your dish by accident or you didn’t realize your food wasn’t in a microwave safe container. You’re not alone.

Have you always wondered why microwaving anything with metal causes a fire? Your microwave oven works by electromagnetic radiation. According to thekitchn.com, a transmitter inside your microwave sets up an electromagnetic field, which sends out microwaves of radiation. When the microwaves hit the water molecules inside your food, it makes them wiggle around which creates heat. Unfortunately, metals are more solid than food; as they get hot, the molecules don’t have anywhere to go, which can result in a fire.

Microwaving something produces heat and causes a chemical reaction. Although there are many things you can put in the microwave, there are a few surprising items that you cannot. Accidently microwaving the wrong foods or containers can result in exposure to toxic chemicals and fires.

 

Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

 

More Readings

26 Foods with Superpowers

15 Ways Your Home is Making You Sick

Surprising Things That Make You Stink

Rating: 

No votes yet

Let's Be Friends. Follow The Active Times on Facebook!