Contrary to what many people believe, you don’t need to have a heavy wallet to visit the city that never sleeps. There are plenty of free activities to do and places to visit that won’t require you to dig into your pocket.
Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry for scenic views, stroll through magical gardens, check out free books from the New York Public Library, go for a walk along the Hudson River Greenway, and have a picnic in Central Park.
Here are 6 free things to do in New York City.
1. Go on a Brooklyn Brewery Tour- Make your way to the Tasting Room on Saturdays from 12-8pm and Sundays from 12-6pm for the opportunity to go on a free tour. Saturday tours are offered on the half hour from 1-5pm, they start shutting down around 7:30pm for closing time at 8pm. Click here for more information.
2. Visit Central Park- Tourists love Central Park for its year-round beauty. Regardless of the season, there is always something spectacular to explore and photograph. Go bird watching, have a picnic, visit the Central Park Mall and walk through the beautiful Conservatory Garden.
3. Stargazing at The Highline- Every Tuesday at dusk, from April through October, visitors are offered the chance to take a close look at the stars. The Amateur Astronomers Association of New York provides high-powered telescopes for you to peer through.
4. New York Public Library- For more than 100 years the New York Public Library has been providing free books, information, education and ideas to New Yorkers. From performances, author talks and exhibitions, the library offers 93,000 free programs a year across 92 locations.
5. Ride the Staten Island Ferry- Tourists love riding the Staten Island Ferry for spectacular sights. Admire perfect views of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. See skyscrapers and bridges of Lower Manhattan.
6. Visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden- The Brooklyn Botanic Garden offers a wide range of events and workshops. Take art classes, go on a seasonal theme tour, take a custom cooking and bath salts class, learn how to start your very own rooftop garden and take your kids to get dirty at the gardens kids’ discovery stations. *Free Tuesdays, 10am to 12pm Saturdays and weekdays November through February.