So, You Won the New York City Marathon Lottery
On Wednesday, 9,170 runners were invited to run the New York City Marathon race field via the event’s non-guaranteed entry lottery pool.
If you’re one of the lucky lottery winners who received an email from New York Road Runners, congratulations! You’re officially entered to run 26.2 miles through the five boroughs of New York City and the NYC Marathon season is now in full swing.
While it’s not time to start training just yet, it certainly can’t hurt to at least start thinking about your training strategy, and for runners coming from out of town, travel plans need to be considered too.
Below is a list of factors that every runner should consider leading up to race day on November 2:
- First, NYRR is encouraging accepted applicants to download their official TCS NYC Marathon digital badges, made to be shared on social media. And if you really want to let the world know how proud you are, you can also download NYC Marathon themed header images for your Facebook and Twitter profiles. (P.S. If you’re into social sharing, including the hashtag #TCSNYCMarathon in your tweets and Instagram uploads could earn you a special feature on the TCS New York City Marathon social hub on tcsnycmarathon.org.)
- If you’re from out of town, start planning your trip to The Big Apple. United Airlines is the Official Airline sponsor of the NYC Marathon and runners can access special hotel rates and other travel perks when they book their trip through Anthony Travel.
- Start thinking about your training strategy: NYRR offers customizable training programs fit for runners of all different levels and they also offer classes on running, nutrition, and injury prevention for New York City locals.
- Invest in some new marathon running gear: From water belts and compression socks to sunglasses and body glide, there’s no way you can train for or complete a marathon without the right gear.
- Consider running for a cause: NYRR encourages all runners to “add meaning to their miles” by signing up to run with one of their official charity sponsors. Running for charity is also an alternative way to earn entry for non-guaranteed hopefuls who didn’t win a spot through the lottery. Those who have yet to earn a bib can also enter the TCS & NYRR Team for Kids sweepstakes which will grant 26 winners a guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to run with Team for Kids.
- Invite your friends: Ok, so we know you probably have few friends willing to tough-out 26.2 miles, but for runners who would rather enjoy the excitement of marathon weekend without having to put in all the work, NYRR offers their annual 5K Dash to the Finish Line race, which finishes at the famed marathon finish line in Central Park.