Some days are good, while others not so much. We all have those days where we wish we could feel happier instantly.
Instead of allowing yourself to sulk into a negative mindset, turn your thoughts around and focus on the good in your life. Live in the moment, stop worrying about the past and future, and simply focus on the things in life that bring you joy.
*Related: The Top 10 Habits of Positive People
Make sure you laugh every day, foster good relationships, exercise often, and take some time for yourself. Avoid getting stuck in your everyday routine, let your stress fall behind, get out there and do the things that you love.
Here are five tips for instant happiness.
1. Go for a walk outside- Walking boosts endorphins, which puts you in a better mood. According to a recent study, “employees who took a 30-minute walk at lunchtime felt more enthusiastic and more relaxed in the afternoon than those who didn’t trek outdoors.” Walking also promotes a positive mood and wellbeing.
2. Meditate- Meditation benefits your mind and body, while also having a powerful effect on your health. If you want to feel happier instantly, one of the first steps is to reduce stress. “During meditation, you focus your attention and eliminate the stream of jumbled thoughts that may be crowding your mind and causing stress. This process may result in enhanced physical and emotional well-being,” the Mayo Clinic explains.
3. Think positive- Stop worrying about life’s stresses, think positive and live in the moment. Focus on success, happy events and things that bring you joy. Be grateful for your life in this very moment, allow yourself to be happy and push negative thoughts out of your mind.
4. Listen to music- Music can literally boost your spirits and increase your happiness instantly. Research has found that listening to music can alleviate your pain, balance your emotions and most importantly, improve your mood. Two experimental studies concluded that “listening to positive music may be an effective way to improve happiness, particularly when it is combined with an intension to become happier.”
5. Wear the color yellow- Next time you’re feeling down, grab a yellow shirt and put it on. Research has shown that the color yellow promotes feelings of happiness, hope, fun and cheerfulness.