We start with one file, then another, and then before we know it there is a clutter of papers spread out along our desk. How will you ever be able to find that one file you were looking for, and how will you be able to concentrate with the mess surrounding you? This is stressful and overwhelming.
Individuals who are well organized at work are more focused, productive and positive. They are less stressed, flexible and efficient.
Sometimes it’s hard to find the time to get everything that you need done; which is why it’s important to create a to-do list and prioritize your tasks.
Here are 7 simple ways to get organized at work.
1. Create a to-do list and follow it- Creating a list, specifically a to-do list is one of the best ways to get organized and stay organized. When you get to work, make a list of your tasks for the day, arrange them starting with high-priority responsibilities. As you complete your tasks, check them off of your list and work on the next one. This will ensure that you don’t forget to complete any work.
2. Listen to tranquil music- Listening to music at work will not only get you organized but it will also boost your focus. Research from the Acoustical Society of America concluded that “natural” sounds have the ability to optimize the ability to concentrate, enhance cognitive function and increase overall worker satisfaction. Tip: Listen to recordings of nature sounds or tranquil background music.
3. Make back-ups- Always save and back-up your computer files. Make sure that you have duplicates just in case your internet or computer crashes.
4. Don’t procrastinate- Stop telling yourself that you will get it done later. You may never find the perfect opportunity to get something done. Putting off tasks will overwhelm you later and cause stress. Follow your to-do list and complete the set tasks you assigned yourself. If you continue waiting for the perfect opportunity, you may never finish your tasks.
5. Throw out your garbage- One of the best ways to get organized is to constantly de-clutter and clean up. Everyday set aside some time to get rid of the papers and files you no longer need.
6. Keep a calendar at work- Keeping your work calendar up to date will help you stay organized and keep you on track toward achieving your goals. Write down everything from meetings to tasks, appointments and reminders.
7. Organize your media devices- If your phone is next to your keyboard, your tablet is in arms reach and your MP3 player is on your lap, how do you ever expect to get organized and stay focused? Purchase an organizational tool, such as the universal cradle by DOK. Keep all of your devices charging in the same place on your desk, out of arms reach.