Roomba vs. Shark: Which is better?
Is Roomba or Shark the better robot vacuum?
Cleaning can be tedious, but it doesn’t have to be. With helpful robot vacuum cleaners, the process can be made far easier.
Robot vacuums are a great tool if you’re looking to minimize the time spent cleaning and organizing the house. They’re useful for households with small children and pets where repeated cleaning is required.
Most robot vacuums use advanced mapping technology to create a layout of the house. Some higher-priced models come with more features, in-depth customization options and hazard prevention programming.
When it comes to buying a smart robot vacuum cleaner that will simplify cleaning, Roomba and Shark are the most reputable companies to choose from. Here’s a breakdown of the two brands with pros, cons and other helpful information to help you make an informed decision.
Roomba robot vacuums are manufactured by iRobot, a company famous for its autonomous cleaning devices. iRobot offers a large range of cleaners to suit all needs. The least expensive options include cleaners in the Roomba 600 series, such as the Roomba 692, while the most expensive is the Roomba i7+, priced at $1,099.
The Roomba 600 series comes with a scheduling option accessible through the iRobot HOME app or any voice assistant. It also has a three-stage procedure for cleaning that involves surface and edge-sweeping brushes capable of cleaning hard floors, tables, carpets and all corners of the house.
The latest Roomba i7+ is a better option if you have the budget. It comes with a self-cleaning system that enables the vacuum to empty itself when the garbage bags are full. It also comes with a self-charging option, so the Roomba will charge itself when the battery gets low and finish the cleaning task once it’s done.
- Self-cleaning system is helpful for cleaning when you’re away.
- Keep Out Zones enable you to safeguard particular areas of the house.
- vSLAM navigation helps the cleaner learn the layout of the house for smarter cleaning.
- Power-Lifting Suction and Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes offer efficient cleaning.
- It targets specific areas of the house with a simple voice command.
- Most Roomba cleaners are 13 inches wide and 3.6 inches tall, making them slightly larger than Shark.
- Older versions don’t have a self-charging and self-emptying system, making it harder to automate cleaning.
- Roomba is almost twice as expensive as Shark, which makes it inaccessible for households (and students) on a budget.
Best Roomba cleaners
- Best-looking and best-cleaning combo cleaner: iRobot Roomba s9+ (also available at Best Buy)
- Budget friendly cleaner with a good runtime: iRobot Roomba 675 (also available at Best Buy)
- For automated cleaning (includes Recharge and Resume technology): iRobot Roomba 960
- Affordable buy with self-emptying function: iRobot Roomba i3+ (also available at Best Buy)
- Best features for efficient, supervision-free cleaning: iRobot Roomba i7+ (also available at Best Buy)
Shark robot vacuums are manufactured by SharkNinja, a large-scale producer of small home appliances and cleaning solutions.
The company currently offers two robot vacuum cleaners: Shark ION and Shark IQ. Shark IQ (also available at Best Buy) is a better cleaner with smart mapping technology and efficient cleaning routes. Shark ION (also available at Best Buy) is durable and has a long-lasting battery.
You don’t have to be concerned about leaving the Shark cleaner unsupervised. Most Shark models come with a cliff sensor that alerts the robot to potential falls and prevents hazards. Shark cleaners are also fitted with front bumpers, so no furniture is damaged in case of an accident.
If you have children and/or pets in the house, Shark is a good option for you. It’s safe to use and some models come with a self-emptying bin for efficient cleaning.
- Efficient cliff sensors prevent falling off the table and other high surfaces
- Soft bumper attached to the front to protect furniture from scratches
- Easy to use with simple navigation system and handy buttons
- Shark is more affordable than most Roomba models
- Shark IQ is the least expensive robot cleaner with a self-emptying bin
- Not as good at cleaning as Roomba
- Doesn’t work well with thick carpets and complicated room layouts
- Some models require physical obstacles to mark cleaning boundaries
- The spinning movement of the brushes sometimes scatters debris instead of cleaning it
- The ION 750 model requires a considerable amount of maintenance
Best product Shark cleaners
- Best for automated cleaning: Shark ION Robot Vacuum R75 with WiFi
- Most budget friendly robot vacuum cleaner: Shark ION Robot 720 Dual-Action Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- For pet hair cleaning, the best option is: Shark ION Robot 700 Self-Cleaning Vacuum with Smart Sensor Navigation
Roomba vs. Shark: Maintenance comparison
One of the most common problems while using robot vacuums is the tangling of pet hair. Robot vacuums aren’t ideal for picking up dog hair, as it gets stuck in the brushes, which can end up clogging the machine.
Fortunately, both Roomba and Shark IQ models are easy to clean. Shark IQ has a special pop-out wheel specially built to remove pet hair. So, if you’re struggling with dog hair around the house, Shark IQ might be a better cleaner for you.
Should you get the Roomba or the Shark?
Which product to buy depends on what you’re looking for in a robot vacuum. If you’re looking for an automated cleaner that requires minimal supervision, the iRobot Roomba i7+ is an excellent option. If you want the self-cleaning feature at a budget-friendly price, the Shark IQ Robot XL RV1001AE would work well for you.
Other robot vacuums worth your consideration
While Roomba and Shark are among the best options when it comes to automated cleaning, there are quite a few alternatives if you’re looking for something different. Here are some other robot vacuum cleaners to consider:
- eufy by Anker BOOSTIQ RoboVac30: Its BoostIQ technology can increase the cleaning intensity to help clean harder-to-scrub areas.
- Lefant M200 Robotic Vacuum: Its anti-collision infrared sensors can minimize accidents.
- Roborock S501 Robot Vacuum and Mop: Multi-mode system can clean different types of floors.
Sakshi Udavant is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.