The best puppy diaper
Potty training your new puppy takes time and patience. While you’re training it, a situation may come up where you can’t risk it having an accident such as it staying at a friend or family member’s house or while on a long car trip. In these situations, you need a good puppy diaper.
The best puppy diapers are the Pet Magasin Male Dog Belly Band Wraps. They’re soft, and it’s easy to finely tune the fit thanks to the large hook-and-loop closure.
What to know before you buy puppy diapers
Technically, there’s no such thing as a puppy diaper. There are only small-sized animal diapers. You should be able to use any dog or cat diaper with your puppy as long as it’s appropriately sized. For small breeds and very young puppies, look for extra-small sizes. Otherwise, small sizes should work.
Male vs. female diapers
Puppy diapers come in two forms.
- Male diapers are wraps that circle the waist and seal your puppy’s bits without squeezing them. They leave the rear completely open which can be a positive or a negative depending on your needs and training system.
- Female diapers are essentially the same design as human diapers, except they have a tail hole. They can be used with male puppies — you just need to make sure it isn’t too tight. Be cautious with the tail hole; if it isn’t tight enough around the tail, it will leak.
Disposable vs. reusable
Puppy diapers come in disposable or reusable forms.
- Disposable diapers are the easiest to use; just take them off and toss them when soiled. Costs can quickly skyrocket, however, since puppies typically relieve themselves once every two hours or so.
- Reusable diapers are more economically and environmentally friendly. However, most puppies will outgrow them unless the breed doesn’t grow much or it’s almost fully grown. But don’t throw away outgrown diapers! Your neighborhood animal shelter is likely to accept them if they’re still in good condition.
Disposable and reusable diapers have different quantities to consider.
- Disposable diapers usually come in large quantities, roughly 20-30. You’ll likely go through such a pack in a few days or less, so don’t worry about having leftovers. And anyway, if you do, just donate them to your local animal shelter.
- Reusable diapers typically come in packs of one, two or three. It’s best to buy multi-packs so you always have a clean one ready.
Puppy diaper features
The best puppy diapers have adjustable fits so you can make sure your puppy is comfortable and adjust as it grows. Look for diapers with hook-and-loop closures. They’re the easiest to adjust.
Having a snug seal around the diaper’s edges is imperative to preventing leaks. As such, the best puppy diapers use elastic in the edges to get that seal without being too tight.
Puppy diapers cost
They can cost as little as $10 to as much as $30 depending on size, type and quantity. Smaller sizes and packages cost less with multi-packs of reusable diapers costing more.
Puppy diapers FAQ
How should a puppy diaper fit?
A. The best way to ensure a proper fit is to carefully measure your puppy’s dimensions and compare them to prospective diapers’ sizing charts until you find a good match. Then, once the diaper is on, make sure the edges are snug against the skin but not tight enough to pinch.
If using a female diaper, also check that the tail is comfortably through the tail hole without leaving much space between the tail and the hole. If the dog is male and you’re using a female diaper, make sure its bits aren’t being squished.
How do I stop my puppy diaper from leaking?
A. The first step is finding the cause of the leak. The most common cause is simply that the diaper doesn't fit well. Try readjusting the fit if your diaper is adjustable, otherwise, buy a smaller or different brand of diaper.
If the fit is snug, it could be that the diaper has poor absorbency. For this, you can try using a diaper liner, but you’ll likely have more success trying a different diaper altogether.
How often should a puppy's diaper be changed?
A. It should be changed as soon as it’s soiled. Check frequently if the diaper doesn't have a clear visual system for showing that it’s been soiled. After it’s removed, make sure to wash the area on your puppy as well as your hands.
Which puppy diapers should I get?
Best of the best puppy diapers
Our take: These are tough to beat when it comes to training a male puppy.
What we like: Each pack includes three reusable wraps in different colors and the smallest size fits waist circumferences of 13-15 inches. They’re made of four layers: a soft top mesh layer for comfort, two inner layers of absorbent fleece and a waterproof outer shell. They’re machine-washable.
What we dislike: The smallest size might be too big for the smallest breeds and the especially young, plus a few consumers reported them to run a little large.
Best bang for your buck puppy diapers
Our take: These are the best disposable diapers and they come at a low cost to boot.
What we like: They have an extra-small-sized pack of 32 for waist circumferences of 12-17 inches and a small-sized pack of 32 for waist circumference of 14-19 inches. They use fur-resistant fasteners to maintain a secure fit. A special “DrySpeed” technology instantly converts liquids into a gel.
What we dislike: A few customers had issues with more active puppies being able to wiggle out. Solids can leak from the tail hole if the fit isn’t good.
Honorable mention puppy diapers
Our take: This is a good diaper for the last leg of puppyhood.
What we like: It comes in extra-small for a waist circumference of 9-14 inches and small for a waist circumference of 12-19 inches. The fur-friendly hook-and-loop straps on either side help with securing the proper fit. They have a plastic liner for leakproof protection.
What we dislike: Only one is included so your puppy is unprotected when it’s time to wash it unless you buy a second diaper.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Jordan C. Woika is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
© 2022 BestReviews. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC