The best club chair
After a long, hard day nothing feels better than a comfortable seat. And when it comes to sitting well, club chairs have the corner on that market. Often used to create small conversational nooks in corners and near large windows, club chairs are synonymous with intimate conversation and comfort.
If you want to bring a bit of luxury into your home, the Greyleigh Margate Tufted Genuine Leather Club Chair is the perfect choice. It blends traditional lines with high-quality construction for a classic seating option.
What to know before you buy a club chair
Club chair materials
Club chairs come in as many materials as you can think of, but there are three main contenders.
- Leather: Leather is classic and a traditional choice, but it can also come off as stuffy or too formal. The high-end version of this material is not a great choice in houses with kids or pets, as stains and damage are almost certain to occur.
- Fabric: Fabric is a good choice for busy homes with high traffic. Whether casual and laid back or formal and elegant, you can set the tone with the fabric you select. These are available at a wide variety of prices, too, making it an affordable option if you'd like to purchase more than one.
- Microfiber: Microfiber offers the triumvirate in easy-care furniture. It's stain-resistant, water repellent and durable. That said, some microfiber chairs can seem too casual.
These may be the three main materials, but club chairs are available in everything from metal to plastic and faux leather, too.
Indoor vs. outdoor
Club chairs used to be reserved for the drawing room, but these days they are just as at home poolside. Outdoor club chairs bring a touch of class to the lawn or garden, and they come in different materials and fabrics that are designed to withstand the elements.
Club chair style
Within this general category, there are a variety of club chair styles.
- Formal: Formal chairs might be what you think of first. These are heavy, substantial leather chairs with tufted backs and luxe finishes.
- Modern: Modern club chairs often have clean lines and minimal details. They may also use funky materials or incorporate surprising elements.
- Casual: For a more relaxed vibe, casual club chairs are the way to go. These can be a mix of many different styles and colors. They fit in no matter where they are.
Club chair features
Because of their size, some assembly may be required upon delivery. The best club chair comes with detailed instructions that require few tools and very little expertise
Not many people would consider leather easy to care for, but some types require less fuss than others. If less time cleaning is important to you, look for materials, including leather, that can receive little attention and still look good.
Even leather club chairs come in a variety of tones and colors. You can go for a chair that matches your existing color scheme or branch out and choose a new accent color to highlight the chair.
Club chair cost
As with most furniture, the cost varies wildly, depending on the material you choose and whether or not it’s made by a more famous brand. Expect to spend $75-$2,000 on a single chair.
Club chair FAQ
How do you find the best size club chair?
A. The unique silhouette, size and shape of a club chair pose a challenge for interior design. There are a few tips to find the best size for your space.
- Make sure you have enough space: In addition to the footprint of the chair itself, you also need 1 foot of space in every direction around the chair. This ensures that it doesn't feel cramped or too large.
- Evaluate what is already there: If you already have a sofa or other chairs, your club chair should be neither smaller nor larger than the existing set. This is also a good rule of thumb for any other furniture or chairs in the room.
- Consider your style: If you prefer a cozier look, you might find that more is better. Two chairs in a conversational corner could work for you. However, if you’re a minimalist, this kind of clutter would drive you crazy. Opt for a single chair with clean lines.
Do club chairs always have arms?
A. In general, yes, although you can find modern or one-off designer pieces with no arms or just one. For many people, arms that curve around you are what makes this style of chair distinctive.
Which club chair should I get?
Best of the best club chair
Greyleigh Margate Tufted Genuine Leather Club Chair: available at Wayfair
Our take: It's a luxurious take on a classic, with smart industrial features for a more versatile design.
What we like: The top grain leather is soft and beautiful. Architectural details like diagonal pleats and tapered wood legs lend a structural look to a comfortable chair. It is substantial without being too bulky. The chair is delivered fully assembled.
What we dislike: While it's a beautiful chair, it's on the pricey side.
Best bang for your buck club chair
Belleze Modern Accent Arm Club Chair: available at Amazon
Our take: If you like the look of leather but not its price tag or fussy care, this is the chair for you.
What we like: It has clean lines and a small footprint which makes it great for tight spaces. Some easy assembly is required, and the cushions attach simply with Velcro. It is available in 10 colors.
What we dislike: It is really small. This is best for a kid’s room or a smaller guest suite.
Honorable mention club chair
Parma Outdoor Acacia Wood Club Chairs With Cushions: available at Amazon
Our take: The natural properties of acacia makes these chairs stylish and durable.
What we like: An acacia wood frame holds thick, comfortable cushions fastened with ties to the back of the chair. The seat is an ample 31 inches wide and deep enough to curl up in. A set of four chairs is also available in either blue or beige.
What we dislike: The cushions are water-resistant but not waterproof; you’ll need to cover them when it rains.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Suzannah Kolbeck is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
© 2022 BestReviews. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC