Natural Remedies for Headaches
When it comes to preventing headaches or migraines there are many different things you can do. But when you are suffering from one, and it is just too much to handle, how do you subside the pain?
Is your neck tense? Are you magnesium deficient? There are many things that cause headaches – lack of sleep, poor posture and stress, just to name a few.
*Related: Signs You’re Having a Migraine
Read below for 9 natural remedies for headaches.
1. Lavender Oil- It smells good and it is commonly used as a home remedy for headaches and migraines. Apply a few drops to every three cups of boiling water and inhale the vapors.
2. Take Magnesium- If you suffer from migraines, you should always have a bottle of magnesium in your cabinet. Studies have shown that taking magnesium supplements can help prevent headaches before they even occur.
3. Chamomile tea- Chamomile tea is often known for its relaxing and calming effects on the body. However, it also helps relieve pain associated with headaches.
4. Give yourself a massage- Gently rub your temples, neck, and head for temporary headache relief.
5. Peppermint Oil- Inhale peppermint oil to soothe tension and relieve headaches. It helps control blood flow in the body, which in turn opens the sinuses and allows more oxygen into your blood stream.
6. Gingerroot tea- Ginger helps relieve nausea that is often associated with migraines. Create your tea at home and simmer small slices of gingerroot in water then cover it for 30 minutes.
8. Acupuncture- It can be pricy, but it’s definitely worth it and if you’re not scared of thin needles, it may be a great option for you. Studies have shown that acupuncture could help prevent acute migraines.
9. Flaxseeds- Flaxseeds are a super food. They help reduce inflammation and relieve constipation, which commonly associated with headaches. Add it to a smoothie, or oatmeal for a nutritious snack.