Are you in desperate need of workout motivation? You’re not alone. Many of us – especially during the winter months – find it difficult to muster up the enthusiasm to exercise. Fortunately, there are many things that you can do to trick yourself into working out.
Leaving yourself reminders, setting your workout gear aside the night before, and taking your gym clothes to work are great ways to prompt a workout. But when you really don’t feel like exercising, what do you do?
Don’t ruin all of the progress you have made because you’re bored with your workout routine. Change it up; sign up for a group fitness class or go outdoors and embark on a hike.
Here are 6 ways to motivate yourself to exercise when you really don’t feel like it.
1. Sign up for a group fitness class- Taking a group fitness class is a great way to expose yourself to a fun and social environment. They are motivating, entertaining and enjoyable. Break a sweat while listening to music at Zumba and SoulCycle, enhance your body and mind at a Tae Kwon Do class, and experience the energetic fitness environment Orange Theory Fitness has to offer.
2. Engage a friend- You may not feel like working out, but your friend does. He or she is texting you and telling you that they are on their way to the gym; you can’t bail on them now. Working out with a friend makes you accountable, it’s more fun and promotes friendly competition that in turn keeps you motivated and on the right track.
3. Think positive- Positive thinking is key to a motivational workout, while a negative attitude is detrimental to losing weight and keeping it off. You will never want to get out of bed and go to the gym when you’re thinking “ugh… I don’t want to do this.” Try waking up, taking a deep breath, and thinking “this morning workout is going to be a great start to my day!”
4. Give yourself a reward- Set your goals and create specific benchmarks. Tell yourself that if you accomplish them you deserve a reward. Try putting $1 in a jar. At every benchmark point add another $1; once you have met your ultimate goal, remove the money and spend it on whatever your heart desires.
5. Download a fitness app- Fitness apps work as great workout motivation. Many of them allow you to set goals, log in your workouts, track your progress and even keep records of your daily food intake.
6. Go to sleep earlier- If you’re dreading your morning workout one of the best ways to motivate yourself is by going to bed earlier and getting a good night sleep. A morning workout is a great way to jumpstart your day. Just go to sleep little earlier, set your alarm the night before and hit the gym first thing in the morning.