Ever notice that after your morning workout you feel less stress and energized? Exercise has numerous benefits on your mental wellbeing. It improves your mood, fights fatigue, promotes endorphins and self-confidence.
Here are 6 Mental Health Benefits of Exericse
1. Reduces stress- Exercising regularly has been proven to help reduce stress. According to the ADAA, “studies show that it is very effective at reducing fatigue, improving alertness and concentration, and at enhancing overall cognitive function. This can be especially helpful when stress has depleted your energy or ability to concentrate."
2. Improves memory- Exercise has the ability to directly improve your brain function. It helps it function at its full potential. It has also been shown that exercise may help reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Reduces fatigue- Regular exercise has the ability to fight fatigue, increase your energy, improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. The Mayo Clinic explains, “exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy to go about your daily chores.”
4. Helps relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression- If you are feeling anxious or depressed it’s important to remember to stay active, even when all you want to do is sit down and do nothing, which is one of the worst things you can do! It is proven that exercise can help with depression. When you exercise your body releases endorphins. Endorphins are linked to your brain; they help reduce your awareness of pain by triggering positive feelings in your mind and body.
5. Improves concentration- Exercise helps improve overall productivity and concentration. According to research, regular exercise releases brain chemicals which are key for memory, concentration and mental sharpness.
6. Confidence boost- You just made it through an intense workout – you feel good, happy and accomplished. If your goal is to lose weight, once you start seeing results, you are likely to feel more confident. People will start telling you how awesome you look, which in turn will make you feel great and give you the motivation you need to keep going. After all, there is nothing better than knowing your hard work is paying off.