Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave from Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

Things You Should Never Put in the Microwave

At some point or another, we have all put something in the microwave and freaked out when we saw sparks flying. Maybe you left a metal fork in your dish by accident or you didn’t realize your food wasn’t in a microwave safe container. You’re not alone.  

Microwaving something produces heat and causes a chemical reaction. Although there are many things you can put in the microwave, there are a few surprising items that you cannot. Accidently microwaving the wrong foods or containers can result in exposure to toxic chemicals and fires.

Styrofoam Containers

Shutterstock/maximkabb

Just to be clear, it is true when they say “never put Styrofoam containers in the microwave.” Heating up food in Styrofoam containers is very dangerous.  It may melt and can cause toxic fumes.

Eggs

Thinkstock/Roland Magnusson

If you want to make hard-boiled eggs put them in water and boil them on the stove. Putting your eggs in the microwave will cause the shell to explode. The good news is that  if the egg is already cracked you can microwave it.

Clothing

Shutterstock/ MediaGroup_BestForYou

Microwave your underwear and watch the elastic waistband melt away. Microwave your socks and watch the same thing happen. Anything with elastic can potentially set fire to the cotton material your clothes are made out of.

Bread

Shutterstock/BGSmith

I’m sure we have all done this at some point or another. We thought microwaving bread will bring it back to its normal soft state (maybe for the first few seconds), we were wrong. If you don’t eat the bread right away and you let it sit, it will get hard.

Dry Sponges

Shutterstock/ oleksajewicz

If you are looking to rid the bacteria on your kitchen sponge putting it in the microwave is not the way to go! The sponge will attract energy and cause a fire. Make sure that the sponge is soaked in water first.

Travel Mugs

Thinkstock/ StefanieDegner

Make sure you check on the bottom of your mug to see if its microwave safe. Putting a stainless steel mug in the microwave may result in damage to your microwave. Not to mention, the stainless steel blocks the heat from warming your drink, so it really won’t help anyway.

Aluminum Foil

Shutterstock

As said earlier, putting any metal in the microwave is dangerous. Aluminum foil is likely to spark an electrical current and cause a fire.

Hot Peppers

Shutterstock/Stakhov Yuriy

Contrary to what many believe, microwaving hot peppers is not a good idea. The chemical capsaicin in hot peppers will sting your eyes and burn your throat. Not to mention, there is a chance that they may catch on fire.

Chinese Takeout Container

Thinkstock/ danny4stockphoto

Definitely don’t microwave one of these containers. They have a mental handle that can potentially cause a fire.

Yogurt

tacar/Shutterstock

Plastic containers that are intended for one-time use should never be microwaved. They are not made to withstand heat. Therefore, the plastic may melt and release toxic chemicals into your food.

Breast Milk

Thinkstock/ Pilin_Petunyia

Microwaving frozen breast milk has been shown to destroy some of the breast milks immune boosting proteins. It may also warm the milk unevenly, which may result in burning your little one’s mouth.

Fruit

Shutterstock/ Olha Afanasieva

Although some fruit can take the heat, others not so much. Many people believe they can make raisins by microwaving grapes but this is not true. The water from the grapes will evaporate, your grapes will explode and you may potentially ruin your microwave.

 

Plain Cups of Water

Shutterstock/ marekusz

“Superheating” is common when heating plain cups of water. You may not see bubbles forming while it’s heating, but in many cases the second you move the cup out of the microwave the hot water will explode.

 

Nothing

Thinkstock/ leungchopan

Putting nothing in your microwave and turning it on will cause it to self-destruct. Think about it… If there is nothing in it, then what will the heat absorb?

Brown Paper Bags

Thinkstock/ lekjob2

Believe it or not, warming up your lunch in a brown paper bag actually causes more harm than good. The recycled maters in the paper bags can cause toxic fumes when heated. This may also result in the bag catching on fire.