Pros and Cons of Energy Drinks
Energy drinks have become increasingly popular amongst the people in today’s society. They are marketed towards everyone. Athletes drink them for enhanced athletic performance. College students drink them for all night study sessions, and working professionals drink them for increased energy.
Below are the Pros and Cons of Energy Drinks, read carefully and decide if that Red Bull is really worth it.
- Energy drinks give you an good energy boost
- Quick pick me up
- Vitamin B: improves mood and can fight cancer and heart disease
- B12: Keeps your red blood cells and nerves healthy. Helps regulate the nervous system and maintain a healthy digestive system.
- B6: helps body with cardiovascular, immune and nervous system function
- Niacin: Helps relieve arthritis pains and lower blood lipids
- Pantothenic Acid: Helps with allergies, stress, anxiety and skin disorders.
- Riboflavin: Can treat muscle cramps and blood disorders
- Energy drinks carry a lot of Caffeine and sugar. According to fitbug.com, “Energy drinks also have a lot of sugar, about the same as a can of coke, or as much as 8-10 teaspoons. While this sugar in combination with the caffeine will increase your blood sugar levels and give you an initial energy burst, this is usually followed by a sudden fall in blood sugar levels, causing a "crash" and you feel tired and lethargic again. “
- Energy drinks are NOT good for exercising. They will dehydrate you giving you less enery to workout.
- Can become addicting
- Causes headaches/Migranes due to withdrawal from caffeine
- Insomnia: Energy drinks can cause lack of sleep. Too much caffeine will definitely keep you awake.
- Jitters: Energy drinks can make you jittery and anxious
- High Blood Pressure: Caffeine has the ability to raise a person’s blood pressure.
- Niacin: One of the main ingredients in Energy Drinks is Niacin. Although it has its benefits, niacin can cause dizziness, and rapid heart rate.
- Calories 110
- Sodium: 100mg
- Carbs: 28g
- Sugars: 27g
- Niacin: 100%
- Vitamin B6: 250%
- Vitamin B14: 80%
- Pantothenic Acid: 50%
- Calories: 100
- Sodium: 180mg
- Carbs: 27g
- Sugars: 27g
- Vitamin C: 100%
- High in Vitamin B6 and B12
- High in Niacin
- High in Riboflavin