Carrying around excess weight can be uncomfortable and damaging to your health.
Losing weight is a combination of exercise and a healthy diet. Once you have mastered this combination it is likely you will notice the changes in your physical appearance. However, what some people fail to realize is the numerous health benefits shedding excess fat has on their body.
Once you make the necessary lifestyle changes, you will see that your weight loss goals are beginning to fall into place. At that point, you should be proud of yourself because you are taking the steps towards a healthy life.
1. More Friends- Fit people tend to participate in outdoor activities. They are fun to be around and sociable. It is likely you will make friends playing sports or in a group fitness class. You may even find a gym buddy and schedule workouts together.
2. Lower Your Blood Pressure- High blood pressure can lead to serious health issues such as heart attack or stroke. For some, losing weight is a positive lifestyle change. Normal blood pressure should read between 120/80 and 140/90.
3. Lower Cholesterol Levels- High cholesterol raises your chance for heart attacks and heart disease. “The American Heart Association recommends everyone over the age of 20 have his or her cholesterol levels checked every four to six years, depending on other risk factors (everyday health).” Weight loss is a positive lifestyle change that helps lower cholesterol, raise your HDL and lower your triglyceride levels.
4. Improved Immune System- According to Live Science, “excess fat around the abs can turn the body's defense system against you, leading to heart and other diseases. Australian researchers found that for obese individuals, shedding just 10 pounds could straighten out an off-balance immune system.”
5. More Energy- Excess weight puts a strain on your body that makes you tired. Once you have lost the weight, you will feel lighter, happier and more energized. Also, to lose weight one must eat healthy and exercise and being active has been proven to help increase energy.
6. Better Sleep- Harvard Health Publications examines how losing weight and belly fat improves sleep. They explain, researchers from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine said if you are carrying extra pounds, especially around your belly, losing weight will help you get better sleep. “We do know that fat deposited around the abdomen, called visceral fat, is associated with heart disease, diabetes, dementia, breast and colon cancers, and other chronic health conditions. Losing belly fat, then, seems like a logical way to improve not only sleep but also overall health (Harvard Health Publications).”
7. Feel Great About Yourself- Losing weight will help you feel more confident. People will start telling you how awesome you look which will make you feel great and give you the motivation you need to keep going. Your happiness will also come from success. There is nothing better than knowing your hard work is paying off.