Ginger has been used as a medical aid for centuries. It contains over 100 different chemical components, the most effective being Gingerol – a highly potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, according to Dr. Axe.
*Related: 26 Foods with Superpowers
If you are in pain, just eat some ginger. Ginger helps reduce pain, decrease inflammation and inhibit bacteria such as protozoa and Salmonella.
It has also been proven to cure morning sickness and prevent indigestion and nausea. In some cases it relieves seasickness and motion sickness as well.
The Benefits of Ginger That You Didn’t Know About
1. It has anti-inflammatory effects- Ginger is an anti-inflammatory that has been used as a valuable tool for pain relief, according to Dr. Mercola. He explains that according to a study it has been “found to be as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain from menstrual cramps in women.” It also helps with migraine, muscle and joint pain.
2. May protect against cancer- [Related: Do These Things to Lower Your Risk for Breast Cancer] Research has shown that ginger has the ability to shrink tumors; it’s even more effective than many cancer drugs, according to Natural Society.
3. It’s great for your gut health- Ginger helps with digestion, reduces nausea and may even help reduce stomach infections. It helps relax the muscles in your gut lining, which in turn helps food move through your system and relieves irritable bowel syndrome symptoms – gas, bloating, cramps, constipation etc.
4. Boosts immune system- Ginger is a strong antioxidant that has been shown to naturally boost the immune system. It contains tons of vitamins, some of which include magnesium, iron, zinc and calcium. Ginger helps kill cold viruses and has been said to combat chills and fever.
5. Can treat morning sickness and nausea- During the first few months of pregnancy, women tend to experience morning sickness – nausea, vomiting. Ginger has been shown to help soothe the stomach and relieve nausea symptoms. Tip: Add a slice of raw ginger to tea or water.
6. Helps with arthritis- [Related: Facts and Myths About Arthritis] There are numerous health benefits of ginger, one of which is its incredible pain reducing properties. It also helps reduce inflammation in people with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. How should you consume ginger for arthritis? According to the Arthritis Foundation, “powder, extract, tincture, capsules and oils, up to 2 g in three divided doses per day or up to 4 cups of tea daily. In studies, 255 mg of Eurovita Extract 77 (equivalent to 3,000 mg dried ginger) twice daily.”
7. It’s a great detox- [Related: The Best Detox Teas] Ginger root has been shown to relax the intestinal tract and eliminate intestinal gas. It has the ability to help detox your body and remove unwanted toxins.
*Try the award-winning Shiitake Soy Ginger Sauce by Annie Chun's. It’s a great way to add a bit of ginger to any dish.