6 Surprising Health Benefits of Drinking Red Wine
We are told time and time again, alcohol is harmful to our bodies and it causes weight gain. However, the truth is that yes, alcohol can harm your body, but not every type is bad for you.
Raise your glass because red wine has proven to have numerous health benefits. If you want to prevent the signs of aging, drink a glass; fight off the common cold, drink a glass; protect your heart, drink a glass. You will be surprised to know what just one glass of red wine a night will do for your body.
Resveratrol is a polyphenol found in red wine; it has antioxidant properties and is one of the main reasons why red wine is great for your health.
Studies have shown over and over that moderate red wine consumption can lower your risk for certain diseases and even help protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
However, alcohol is still alcohol, and there is a fine line between moderate and excessive consumption.
Read below to find out how a moderate consumption of red wine benefits your health.
1. Red wine helps protect against Alzheimer’s Disease- Resveratrol is found in red wine, it is also sold in stores as a supplement because it helps improve memory and enhance brain function in the elderly. *See: 7 Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s Disease
2. Red wine is good for your heart- According to science, people who drink red wine moderately are less likely to develop heart disease, compared to those who don’t. It raises HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol), which decreases inflammation and helps prevent blood clots that may contribute to a heart attack or stroke.
3. Red wine helps you lose weight- In a 13-year study by Harvard University, individuals who drank half a bottle of wine a day had a 70 percent reduced risk of obesity, compared to non-drinkers. *See: 10 Health Risks of Obesity
4. Red wine helps you fight off a cold- Research has found that drinking a moderate amount of red wine can help develop immunity against the common cold. “wine drinking may dampen down the inflammation in the nose and airways which occurs when the immune system is fighting infection by cold viruses,” the DailyMail says.
5. Red wine promotes healthy skin- Resveratrol is an antioxidant found in red wine. It has been proven to help clear skin, limit acne outbreaks and prevent new bacteria from forming. Research has also shown that it can help overweight people better manage obesity and related metabolic disorders.
6. Red wine prevents the signs of aging- Resveratrol is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect the body’s cells from the damaging process of oxidation. According to Dr. Whitaker, it encourages a healthy inflammatory response– “helping to alleviate some of the oxidative stress and inflammation that can lead to premature aging.” *See: Secret Ways to Fight the Signs of Aging