I've interviewed and listened to many individuals who have lost an incredible amount of weight (I’m talking 70+ pounds), and there have been patterns that have emerged. The following healthy lifestyle tactics were mentioned most often:
- They all failed many times trying to lose weight until they finally created a program tailored to their individual needs.
- They all started slow and didn’t make huge changes all at once which could lead to failure.
- They cut out bad foods but replaced them with nutritious, low-caloric foods. This allowed them to still eat a larger volume of food (so they felt full) while consuming fewer calories.
- They were active every single day, even if it was short, small burst of exercise.
- They took it easy on themselves (weren’t too hard and restrictive) and gave the program time to work.
The bottom line: anyone trying to lose weight or aiming to live a healthier, more active lifestyle would be wise to implement these five principles into their lives. They'll help you maintain the habits of a healthy lifestyle that you can carry on indefinitely.
Josh Anderson is an AFAA Certified Personal Fitness Trainer and the CEO of Always Active Athletics.