wat_chaiwatthanaram.jpg

iStock

A 17th-century Buddhist temple located in the ruins of the old Thai city of Ayuttahaya, Wat Chaiwatthanaram is built in the Khom architectural style that was popular during that era. Its central spire — called a prang — stands at about 115 feet tall and is surrounded by eight chapels. The temple lost much of its former glory when the city was destroyed in 1767 by the Burmese army, but restoration began in 1987 and the temple was reopened to the public in 1992.