A slew of records have been set on Everest:
• American Jordan Romero, 13, became the youngest to summit in May of 2010.
• Nepalese Bahadur Shcerchan, 76, became the oldest on May 26, 2008.
• Erik Weihenmayer, legally blind, summited on May 26, 2001.
• Chhurim, a Nepalese Sherpa, summited twice last May—in the same week.
• Lakpa Gyelu, 35, holds the record for fastest ascent at 10 hours and 56 minutes. But perhaps the most impressive record set was in 1978, when Italian climber Reinhold Messner (pictured) claimed first summit without supplemental oxygen, silencing the disbelievers. He repeated the feat two years later, setting yet another record by doing it solo.