The Most Dangerous People Foods for Animals from The Most Dangerous People Foods for Animals
The Most Dangerous People Foods for Animals
The Most Dangerous People Foods for Animals
We’re calling it “people food” for a reason - only people should be consuming it. Animals suffer everyday due to foods that their owners give them – although they think it’s harmless. Stomach aches and gas are the least of your worries, when it comes to the foods on this list.
Caffeine has numerous affects on the human body – both good and bad – but when it comes to your pet, there are only negative outcomes. Chocolate, for instance, can affect your pet’s nervous system and cause theobromine poisoning.
No matter how cute they are when they look up at you at the dinner table, you must refrain from giving them these dangerous foods.
Dogs, cats, mice and rats that consume chocolate are all at risk for theobromine poisoning. “Theobromine in a dose of 100-200 mg/kg can kill 50 percent of the dogs who have eaten chocolate,” according to Pulaski Animal Hospital. This can affect their nervous system, stimulate urination, increase their heartrate, cause diarrhea, vomiting and make the animal restless.
Avocados are toxic to horses, cattle, goats and birds. According to the ASPCA, “birds, rabbits, and some large animals are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado.”
Walnuts are toxic and harmful nuts that you should avoid feeding your pets at all costs. They can cause upset stomach and issues with your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Make sure that they are out of reach. This way your dog cant accidently eat them.
If your dog is on a raw meat diet, take him or her off of it immediately. It is unhealthy. Raw meat opens the way for parasites to enter the body and can also cause food poisoning.
Citrus fruits provide numerous health benefits for humans, but for pets, not so much. Lemons especially are extremely toxic to dogs, horses and cats. They may experience side effects such as light sensitivity, diarrhea and throwing up. Also, make sure to keep your dog away from oranges; the acid can cause issues to their central nervous system.
Garlic and Onions
Red wine has numerous health benefits, but unfortunately, not for dogs. If your pet consumes alcohol he or she will become intoxicated – as a human would but much worse. They will experience poor breathing and lack of coordination. There is also the potential risk of coma or death.
While some dogs have no problems consuming dairy, others do, and it may be wise to not risk giving any to your pet. Drinking milk can lead intense digestion issues, some of which include gas, diarrhea and vomiting.
Regardless of age, breed or gender, consuming raisins, even in small amounts have proven to be fatally toxic for dogs. They may begin vomiting, or suffer from abdominal pain, dehydration, loss of appetite and acute kidney failure.
Humans who consume too much salt can develop health complications. This is why you should do your absolute best to avoid giving your pet foods that are high in salt, and keep your salt shakers out of reach. Consuming too much salt can lead to salt poisoning, vomiting, seizures and in some cases death.
This food is toxic to cats, dogs and horses, according to the ASPCA. “Stems, leaves, seeds contain cyanide, particularly toxic in the process of wilting: brick red mucous membranes, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, panting, shock.”
Gum is a huge health hazard to pets. If your pet swallows it, they may potentially choke and become sick. Sugar-free gum in particular contains a sugar alcohol called xylitol, which can cause liver damage or hypoglycemia.
This is by far one of the most dangerous people foods for animals. Yeast tends to expand in warm and moist conditions. That being said, if your pet eats it, there is a chance it will expand in his or her stomach and cut off blood flow, causing difficulty breathing.
Dogs should completely stay away from nuts, but macadamia nuts specifically, are extremely toxic. They have been known to cause muscle tremors, paralysis, weakness, rapid heartbeat, vomiting and even death.
Xylitol is commonly used as a sugar substitute – artificial sweetener – that looks and tastes similar to sugar. VCA Animal Hospitals says when a dog eats something containing xylitol, it is absorbed quickly into the blood stream. This results in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas and causes their blood sugar level to drop. Some of the symptoms of xylitol poisoning include tremors, seizures, vomiting, weakness and coma.