Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
The house that Robert E. Lee called home for 30 years and one uniquely associated with the Washington and Custis families is preserved today as a memorial to General Lee, who gained the respect of Americans in both the North and South. Restoration of Lee Mansion authorized March 4, 1925; transferred from War Department August 10, 1933; made a permanent memorial with name change to "Custis-Lee Mansion" June 29, 1955; restoration of historic name June 30, 1972.
Arlington House is open all year from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Robert E. Lee Museum at Arlington House is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Arlington House ground are open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. between April 1 and September 30, and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. between October 1 and March 31. Arlington House, Grounds and Museum are closed December 25th and January 1st.
Seasonality / Weather
Washington has a temperate climate typical of the Mid-Atlantic U.S., with four distinct seasons. Summer tends to be very hot and humid. Spring and fall are mild. Winter can bring cold temperatures, frozen precipitation and, on occasions, major snowstorms.
Arlington House is located inside Arlington National Cemetery. From Washington DC you can drive to the cemetery by crossing the Memorial Bridge. In Virginia access to the cemetery is from the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Unauthorized vehicles cannot drive into the cemetery. Parking for Arlington House is available at the Arlington National Cemetery Visitor Center. Handicapped parking is available at the Old Administration Building, located behind Arlington House. Arlington House can be reached by a 10-minute walk from the cemetery visitor center / parking area.
The memorial is accessible by the Blue Line of the Metro subway system. The Arlington Cemetery subway station is near the visitor center for the cemetery. Arlington House can be reached by a 10-minute walk from the cemetery visitor center / parking area.