The 20 Best Running Quotes of All Time
Runners; we’re a strong, determined group of athletes. Whether amateur or elite, more often than not we’ll stop at nothing to make sure that there’s room for the sport in our lives. We wouldn’t do it if we didn’t love it, though. That’s the whole point.
But sometimes that love is lost; after all, running isn’t exactly easy. It presents plenty of challenges that can easily put a damper on even the most exhilarating runner’s high. So when that flame starts to die out, we need an extra “oomph,” anything we can use to help muster up motivation and re-ignite the fire that fuels our love for the sport.
The following 20 quotes will do exactly that. Are they 100%, without a doubt the 20 best of all time? Well, there’s no official way to tell. But we think they’re all pretty epic and definitely inspirational.
A collection of wise words about running from best-selling authors, Olympic champions and world renowned coaches, all of these quotes will remind you of your ability to overcome any challenge and help you remember exactly why you initially fell in love with the sport.
-The 20 Best Running Quotes of All Time-
1. “Even if there were two of me, I still couldn’t do all that has to be done. No matter what, though, I keep up my running. Running every day is a kind of lifeline for me, so I’m not going to lay off or quit just because I’m busy. If I used being busy as an excuse not to run, I’d never run again. I have only a few reasons to keep on running, and a truckload of them to quit. All I can do is keep those few reasons nicely polished.”—Haruki Murakami
2. “Just because your muscles start to protest doesn’t mean you have to listen.”—from the "Runner's High" Day-to-Day Calendar
3. “You are truly your own hero in running. It is up to you to have the responsibility and self-discipline to get the job done.”—Adam Goucher
4. “Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'”—Peter Maher
5. “I always loved running… it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.”—Jesse Owens
6. “People sometimes sneer at those who run every day, claiming they’ll go to any length to live longer. But I don’t think that’s the reason most people run. Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest. If you’re going to while away the years, it’s far better to live them with clear goals and fully alive than in a fog, and I believe running helps you do that. Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: that’s the essence of running…”—Haruki Murakami
7. “Running is my meditation, mind flush, cosmic telephone, mood elevator and spiritual communion.”—Lorraine Moller
8. “There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighbors you can’t live in, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open.”—NIKE
9. “The Secret to a long and healthy life is to be stress-free. Be grateful for everything you have, stay away from people who are negative stay smiling and keep running.”—Fauja Singh
10. “There will be days you don’t think you can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime of knowing you have.”—from the "Runner's High" Day-to-Day Calendar
11. “Running! If there’s any activity happier, more exhilarating, more nourishing to the imagination, I can’t think of what it might be.”—Joyce Carol Oates
12. “My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.”—John Bryant
13. “Never underestimate the power that one good workout can have on your mind. Keeping the dream alive is half the battle.”—Kara Goucher
14. “We are designed to run and we increase our chance of daily happiness when we do so.”—Jeff Galloway
15. “In running, every step you make and every push forward changes you—it transforms you into a different person. Every single run adds something to you and then it also takes something away. You are not the same person you were at the starting line and by the time you cross the finish line, your inner self has been reinvented and reimagined." —Zen of Running
16. “Running is about finding your inner peace, and so is life well lived.”—Dean Karnazes
17. “We all have bad days and bad workouts, when running gets ugly, when split times seem slow, when you wonder why you started. It will pass.”—Hal Higdon
18. "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up.”—Dean Karnazes
19. “I always tell my athletes, don’t confuse difficulty with failure.”
20. “We may train or peak for a certain race, but running is lifetime sport.”—Alberto Salazar
Did we miss one of your favorites? Let us know in the comments below!