Hohokam Pima National Monument
NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Hohokam Pima National Monument was authorized by Congress on October 21, 1972, to protect an ancient Hohokam village known today as "Snaketown." Excavations in the 1930's and again in the 1960's revealed the site was inhabited from about 300 BC to around 1200 AD and may have had up to 2,000 inhabitants. Following the last excavations, the site was completely recovered with earth, leaving nothing visible above ground.
The Monument is located on the Gila River Indian Reservation and is under tribal ownership. The Gila River Indian Community has decided not to open the extremely sensitive area to the public. There is no park brochure, passport stamp, picture stamp or other free literature available.
For further information, two books are highly recommended: Excavations at Snaketown, Material Culture, by Harold S. Gladwin, 1965; and The Hohokam: Desert Farmers and Craftsmen, by Emil Haury, 1978. There are also two articles in National Geographic 131 (May 1967): "The Hohokam: First Masters of the Desert," by Emil Haury, and "Magnetic Clues Help Date the Past," by Kenneth F. Weaver.