Fort Frederica National Monument
In the early 18th century, the land lying between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida was known as the debatable land. This land (that is called Georgia today) was the epicenter of a centuries-old imperial conflict between Spain and Britain. Fort Frederica was established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Frederica to support this endeavor. After successfully repulsing a Spanish attempt to retake St. Simons Island. The garrison at Ft. Frederica was disbanded, and the town fell into decline. Today, the archeological remnants of Frederica are protected by the National Park Service.
Seasonality / Weather
The Fort Frederica NM visitor center is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week and the Bloody Marsh Unit is open 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. seven days a week. Both units are closed on all major holidays
Coming South on Interstate 95 to U.S. 17:
Take Exit 38 and turn left onto Spur 25/Golden Isles Parkway. Follow Spur 25 until it ends at U.S. 17. Take a right onto U.S. 17 (south).
Coming North on Interstate 95 to U.S. 17:
Take Exit 29 and turn right onto U.S. 17.
U.S. 17 to Fort Frederica:
From U.S. 17, take the F.J. Torras Causeway to St. Simons Island. Bear right onto the island (briefly on King's Way), take first left onto Sea Island Road. Go 1.5 miles to second traffic light, and turn left onto Frederica Road. Follow Frederica Road for two miles (take second right off roundabout). The park entrance is located 300 yards past Christ Church.