8 Simple Nano Workouts You Can Do Anywhere
By Joakim Christoffersson—Lots of people think that getting and staying fit means spending hours at the gym. But if you can’t spare the time (or sweat), there’s an easy solution. Nano Workouts are small exercises that can be done almost anywhere, keeping you fit as you go about your normal activities.
Why Nano-Workouts Work
The fittest people don’t dwell in big cities and offices. They live simpler, less stressful lives, and don’t need a gym membership to stay in shape. They get all the exercise they need from what they do every day.
What are Nano Workouts?
In today’s technological age, you rely less on your body than your ancestors did, using cars and computers to get work done. Nano workouts are designed to fix that. These short exercises can easily fit into your daily routine, leaving plenty of time for work and play.
You might stretch while taking a shower, do crunches on the couch, or push-ups while on a conference call. Take advantage of your surroundings and start living a healthy, active lifestyle.
Here are eight simple Nano Workouts you can do to take advantage of an “always active” lifestyle.
8 Simple Nano Workouts for Beginners:
1. In the Bathroom: To target your thighs, do squats while brushing your teeth.
2. At work: To target your triceps, push back your chair and use it as a dip station.
3. On the couch: To target your legs and lower abs, lean back and pedal with your legs in the air.
4. On the toilet: To target your lower arms, extend your arms and flick your fingers repeatedly.
5. After shopping for groceries: To target your upper arms, use the grocery bags as dumbbells.
6. While walking: To target your abs, walk with your abs tensed.
7. In bed: To target your neck, lay with your head off the edge of the bed for a period of time.
8. On a train: To target your lower legs and build balance, stand on one leg. Note: only do this if your balance is already pretty good!
Nano Workouts for a Lifetime
Nano workouts can make a major difference over a lifetime. Just think about the first example: if you do bathroom squats every day, your legs will undergo more than 24 hours of exercise each year. Likewise, if you climb up and down five flights of stairs twice a day, you will have climbed up and down more than 110,000 steps in a year. You get the basic idea. Think active, and always look for a challenge.
Smaller Workouts Can Yield Big Results
You might be wondering if nano workouts can replace your gym routine. More exercise never hurts (if done properly, that is), but recent studies actually favor short bursts of exercises to longer, continuous workouts. It all depends on the effort, intensity and dedication you put into your Nano Workouts. Think small, and get big results.
This story originally appeared on Inspiyr.com